There are two ways to connect to PG machines: in-browser Kali or VPN. By default, PG will connect through Kali. To change your connection to VPN, press the Connect through Kali dropdown and press VPN.
If your connecting to the PG environment via VPN for the first time, you will need to download your VPN pack.
1. Browse to the Proving Grounds control panel, and click on Connect to VPN. This will present you with your VPN credentials.
Note: Your password is not saved, be sure to save it somewhere secure. If you lose your password, you will need to generate a new one.
2. Click on the Download VPN Pack button. For the purposes of this article, we are downloading the VPN pack to the desktop.
NOTE: If you do not see your password, click on "Generate New Password" and a new password will be generated for you. Passwords are not saved and Offensive Security can not retrieve your password.
3. Next, open up a Terminal in Kali and type in:
sudo openvpn PATH TO YOUR VPN PACK
Note: You must use sudo openvpn or you will receive an error.
4. Then press Enter.
5. Type in the Sudo password for your Kali image, and then type in your username and password as presented in the control panel.
6. Click on the Start arrow next to your selected machine. If you get an error message when attempting to start a machine, please check the Error Messages Help Center article.
7. When your machine has started, you will be presented with your machine's IP address, and you may begin exploiting the machine.